It’s no secret that I’m trying to watch what I eat. I haven’t been loudly proclaiming it either, but I AM trying to loose the last bit of baby weight and a little more if I can. So I’m keeping a healthy balance of watching what I eat, still enjoying life and exercising. But like all things worth working for, it’s hard. I am tired and when I am tired I reach for sugar and cheese and all other things that probably aren’t great for you.
But all that said, while I’m watching what I eat, I also don’t want to swing TOO far to one extreme that I can’t live life a little. Everything in moderation, right? How many times have we all heard that? But it’s true! So I started searching for some other ways to make the foods I love, but that still keep in line with the healthy choices I’m wanting and trying to make.
Isn’t being a woman hard? *shakes fist at the sky*
A good friend of mine introduced me to a website called Skinny Taste, and it’s AWESOME. Loaded with tons of recipes for all different occasions (and even a cookbook you can buy!), it’s offering meals and food that you can make in your own home with ALL the flavor but with healthier options. I’ve found a ton of favorite foods of mine on here, but they’re all tailored just a little bit to keep your waistline trim if that’s what you’re working towards. I’ve had a great time browsing through and trying some of the recipes on this site.
Last week, I decided to make the crepes. I love crepes…. I. LOVE. CREPES. When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. So I’m sharing it here! I actually did NOT make the berry cream (even though it sounds heavenly), but instead just put berries in the middle of the crepes, drizzled with a little bit of maple syrup, and enjoyed it that way. I’m sure the cream makes it way better, but I just didn’t want it. I also made enough batter to keep in the fridge and we had a quick and easy breakfast a couple of mornings last week. All I had to do was turn on the griddle and throw on the batter since it was ready to go! Easy peasy.
So if you’re looking for an easy breakfast option and you love crepes like I do, then here you go! And check out the rest of the Skinny Taste website if you aren’t familiar. It’s the bom dot com.
For the Crepes (makes about 12):
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 1/3 cup egg whites (or 2 large egg whites)
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp oil
- non-stick spray
- powdered sugar
For the Berry Filling:
- 6 oz package blackberries
- 6 oz package raspberries
- 12 oz package strawberries, cut in quarters
- 2 tbsp sugar
- whipped topping (I like Tru Whip)
1. In a medium bowl, combine all berries and sugar. Let stand at least 10-15 minutes.
2. In a blender, blend flour, milk, eggs and oil until smooth.
3. Heat a nonstick crepe pan on medium-low flame. When hot, spray with cooking spray to coat bottom of skillet. Pour about 1/4 cup crepe mixture into pan, swirling pan slightly to make crepe thin and smooth. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until bottom of crepe is light golden brown. Flip; cook 30 seconds to 1 minute or until light golden brown. Repeat with remaining crepe mixture.
4. To serve, spoon whipped cream into center of each crepe. Top with berry mixture and fold each edge of crepe over filling. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Best if served warm.
* I was not compensated for this blog post in any way. All opinions are my own.